If you’re looking for a fresh tasting salad to accompany rich holiday dishes, this is a good choice. The combination of tangy arugula with the sweetness of figs, cucumber freshness and a lemony dressing blends so well together. It’s a tasty, healthy treat rich in fiber and folates *–and very easy to prepare. Topping with crumbled goat cheese adds additional richness and a creamy mouth feel to finish it off deliciously!
Arugula Salad with Fresh Figs, Cucumber and Goat Cheese
INGREDIENTS (serves 4-6)
- 1 large bunch or 2 bags of washed arugula (washed and spun in a salad dryer); you can remove some of the stems if you like
- 2-4 fresh figs, sliced thin (if fresh figs are not available, use tangerine pieces)
- 1 small/medium cucumber, peeled and sliced thin (depending on how much you like)
- 1/4–1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese; (Trader Joe’s sells it in a container)
- Lemon Vinaigrette:
- 1/3 cup olive or walnut oil (Walnut oil is a delicious choice)
- juice of 1 lemon
- Salt-free spice mix (there are several I use–including the 21 Spice Salute from TJ’s–yes, I’m a TJ’s fan)
- Salt-free lemon pepper to taste
1. Wisk dressing ingredients–let sit for about 1/2 hour to blend–then wisk again just before adding to the salad.
2. Put washed/dried arugula in a large salad bowl and toss with vinaigrette. (Tip: add dressing to salad greens before adding “additions” so that the additions stay on top for serving)
3. Arrange sliced figs/tangerines and cucumber on top of salad.
4. Crumble goat cheese on top and sprinkle with lemon pepper to taste.