A delicious lunch combo
We are lucky in CA to have warm days in April that beg for outdoor eating “al fresco.” We take advantage when we can and enjoy these two delicious salads together; crunchy kale with a tangy lemony dressing along with our favorite tuna veggie salad. This time I added hummus to the tuna, along with Mayo, carrots, red onion and spices, and of course, fresh lemon juice.
You can serve the tuna salad on a bed of romaine lettuce or a slice of whole grain toast, depending on your dietary needs.
First comes the Lemony Kale Salad recipe; the Tuna to come. Stay Tuned!
Lemony Kale Salad (serves 2-3)
- 2 cups baby kale, washed and torn into bite sized pieces
- 1/3 cup sprouts ( your choice)
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced thin, approx. 1/3 cup
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds or pita nuts or a combination
- 2-3 Tbsp. Lemon juice (or more – to taste)
- 1/3 cup olive and/or walnut oil; (it’s expensive but really adds flavor– you can add just a Tbsp. with the olive oil if you like)
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- no-salt spices
- Combine/mix salad dressing ingredients and let sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Combine kale and sprouts and onion in salad bowl.
- Brown seeds/ nuts in skillet or bake 350 on cookie sheet for 10 minutes – let cool.
- Dress salad and sprinkle nuts/seeds on top.
Optional: grate semi hard goat cheese, such as Midnight Moon, Trader Joe’s White Goat Gouda or regular Parmesan on top
[…] crusty whole grain toast, if allowed on your diet, and a tangy vinaigrette-dressed green salad; Lemony Kale salad. I also like a dollop of plain yogurt on top of my […]