It’s that time of year when I crave something warm and cozy to eat; ok, ”comfort food.” And my favorite is Meatloaf. Besides being satisfying and delicious right out of the oven, you can make my favorite
sandwiches on good whole grain toast the next day
(or two). With ketchup of course! You can make this Meatloaf with ground turkey or a ground beef/pork mixture depending on your preferences. It’s delicious either way.
I confess we often watch TV while we eat, and meatloaf sandwiches are just great to munch while watching British mysteries! Of course, Rick being the disciplined guy that he is takes a walk every evening after dinner to lower his blood sugar; I join him often; see the Journey for more Type2 diabetes lifestyle tips.
I’ve recently discovered something that makes my favorite Meatloaf topping very special and easy. It’s Italian tomato paste in a tube. You just squeeze out what you want – I like to make squiggles that melt and spread while cooking. Instead of opening a can and only using a small amount and the remainder then usually sits in my fridge and I forget about- yes, it goes bad and I throw out once I notice it!
INGREDIENTS (2-3 servings, plus leftovers)
- 2-21/2 lbs ground turkey (I prefer thigh only as it’s juicier); or a ground beef/pork mixture
- 1/2 large or 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1/3 cup Cremini mushrooms, chopped fine (optional)
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 1 egg, beaten
- Italian tomato paste for topping
- Thyme, and/or salt-free seasoning/pepper to taste
1. Mix turkey or meat with chopped onions, beaten egg and spices- I use my hands.
2. Sauté mushrooms in butter; after they’re browned (about 6-7 minutes), let Cool
3. Add mushrooms to mixture. Set aside
4. Mix tomato sauce with bread in a bowl- mash with fork til completely mixed and bread is soft.
5. Combine all in a bowl- best using hands again.
6. Put meatloaf mixture in a loaf pan prepped with an oil spray; Pam or olive oil spray works fine.
7. Squeeze tomato paste on top
9. Bake at 375 for 40 minutes. Turn oven off and let sit inside for another 10-15 minutes.
10. Serve with your favorite whole grains and a great salad – this is a delicious one with goat cheese, persimmons and greens.