Sorry I haven’t written for a while. I had a total knee replacement and it’s taken a lot of time to recover.
Since now we’re all sheltering in place, The is a perfect recipe to have. It’s easy to make, with versatile ingredients, and makes a lot of food that can cover several meals, or eat some and freeze some.
Also, unlike dried beans of any sort, lentils don’t have to be soaked and cook quite quickly. They are tender in approximately one hour. Lentils are also very nutritious, low in carbs and fat and have lots of fiber.* You can add whatever vegetables you have in your larder, fresh, canned or frozen. We are very lucky to have access to fresh produce at this time, and I hope you do as well.
My thoughts and good wishes for you and your loved ones to stay healthy and stay calm.
- 16 oz. dried lentils, any type ( green, brown, pink)
- At least 2cups liquid per cup of lentils—I use chicken or vegetable broth ( or more if the soup is drying out)
- 1/3 cup dry red or white wine (whatever you’ve got)
- large can (28 oz) diced tomatoes with juice
- 3-4 carrots sliced
- 2-3 celery stalks chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3-5 cloves garlic, chopped (we love garlic- use less if you don’t )
- 2-3 Tbsp. Olive oil
- Salt or Salt free seasoning, and spices such as thyme; to taste
- any other vegetables you like, such as green beans, zucchini, red or yellow peppers, peas etc. Canned or frozen are fine. (add additional liquid if adding vegetables)
- optional: sliced cooked sausage or ham
TO DO: (makes a large pot of soup- enough for 6-8 servings)
1. In a Dutch oven or 6 qt. pot, Sauté onions, celery, carrots in olive oil for 4-6 minutes.
2.Rinse lentils, and remove any that look shriveled or black.
3. Add lentils to pot. Add Tomatoes, liquids and garlic and other seasoning
4. Cook on stovetop for approx. 1hour, tasting for lentil and veggies tenderness
Serve With whole grain or whole wheat bread, and, as we usually have, a crisp green salad with a tart, lemony vinaigrette–see previous Salad posts for the vinaigrette recipe: https://wordpress.com/post/type2delicious.com/1075
Salad posts for the vinaigrette recipe: https://wordpress.com/post/type2delicious.com/1075