Lentil Veggie Soup process
Here’s the recipe as promised:
When the weather is turning to fall we like a hearty, healthy soup chock full of fresh vegetables. It’s easy to make and very satisfying as the evenings get cooler. And I like to make a sufficient quantity so we have leftovers; (this freezes well too).
If you have veggies from your summer garden such as zucchinis and tomatoes, this is a great way to use them.
It is a thick soup; almost like a stew. You can, of course, thin it with additional broth, but we enjoy the texture and heartiness of it as is.
INGREDIENTS (serves 4-6 or 2-3 with leftovers)
- 1lb. Dried Lentils, any kind; (rinsed and any bad ones removed- no advance soaking necessary)
- 1-3 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 large onion -chopped
- 2-4 carrots (depending on size), washed, chopped or diced
- 2-3 zucchinis-chopped
- 1 large can diced tomatoes in juice ( plus 3-4 fresh diced tomatoes)
- 2-4 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 32 oz/quart low sodium chicken stock (or more, depending on how thick you want it)
- 1/3 -1/2 cup dry white wine, such as Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc
- 1-2 Bay leaves
- salt free seasoning (or 1 tsp salt if you like), pepper, to taste
- 1-2 Tbsp.fresh herbs or 1tsp. Dried; thyme, oregano, marjoram (you probably know that dried herbs are much stronger tasting- also best to crumble or crush before adding)
- Paprika or smoked Paprika
TO DO: in a 6 quart Dutch oven or other large pot:
- Sauté onions til soft (medium to medium high heat depending on your stove, on stove top) in 1-2 Tbsp. oil (4-5 minutes); add carrots -sauté another 4-5 minutes; add zucchinis, sauté additional 2-3 minutes. Add another 1Tbsp.oil if needed.
- Add garlic; sauté another 2 minutes
- Add rinsed lentils, Bay leaves and seasonings to pot
- Add broth, tomatoes and wine; stir
- Bring to low boil- then reduce heat, cover and simmer 45 minutes-1 hr. Til lentils and carrots are tender
- Garnish with fresh herbs
- optional: add cooked sliced sausage before final cooking; and grate cheese on top of each bowl
For a delicious meal serve with whole grain toast and a green salad with your favorite vinaigrette, (for a suggestion see ).