Avocado toast is the latest rage-it’s being offered on menus in almost every cafe and bakery I’ve been to lately. Actually, it’s so easy to prepare at home. No reason to pay a lot for this simple dish! As you probably know, avocados are a healthy food choice; here’s some of the reasons Why Avocados are a healthy food choice.
Avocado toast is even more delicious topped with a fried egg; more protein and a great breakfast, especially with some fruit to complete the meal. We like citrus, especially the little tangerines that we find now at farmers’ markets. Here’s my recipe for this avocado treat.
INGREDIENTS (serves 2)
- 1 medium size avocado
- 1-2 Tbsp. Mayonnaise
- 1tsp. unsalted butter
- 2 slices cheese- we use goat Gouda slices (Trader Joe’s sells pre-sliced Dutch goat Gouda that we like))
- 2 large eggs
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- salt free seasoning (or salt if you like), ground pepper, lemon juice; to taste
- fresh herbs- chopped chives or dill or your choice
- Paprika or smoked Paprika
- With a fork, mash the avocado and the mayo together; (not too smooth- should have some chunkiness). Set aside.
- Add salt, (or no salt seasoning), and pepper to taste; (also a squeeze of lemon if you like.)
- Toast the bread.
- Put a slice of goat cheese on each toast; either microwave for 20-30 seconds until cheese is slightly softened or saute toast topped with the cheese for 1-2 minutes to soften the cheese. (I actually prefer the microwave method- but either works fine.)
- Spread avocado mixture thickly on top of the cheese toast.
- Melt butter in a hot nonstick pan; crack eggs gently into the pan and fry til whites are opaque and edges are brown and crisp; turn over and cook an additional 10-20 seconds (depending on your preference for the firmness of the yolk).
- Top each avocado toast with hot fried egg.
- Garnish with fresh chopped herbs.
- Sprinkle with Paprika (or smoked Paprika) to add a bit of color
That’s it- avocado toast-so easy and delicious!
Reblogged this on Type2 Delicious.