Tangy Tex-Mex Slaw
Sometimes I want something that is tasty and tangy to titallate my tastebuds! (Yes, having fun with alliteration!)
I spent some time in New Mexico last October and developed a craving for the SouthWestern flavors. Unfortunately many dishes of the area are full of carbs and a lot of fat. This colorful Slaw is satisfying and won’t break your diet. It’s also super easy to prepare, and is versatile; can be a side dish, (actually a wonderful topping for grilled fish, or, if, your diet allows, fish tacos); or by itself as a lunch salad served with whole grain crackers.
Basically chopped cabbage, grated carrot and a marinade, you can put this together and serve in less than an hour.
Easy, low carb and very delicious!
INGREDIENTS (serves 3-4 with leftovers)
- 21/2- 3 cups chopped cabbage (quick tip- use bagged, prechopped coleslaw or cabbage- such as from Trader Joe’s, my go-to store); also add 1/3 cup shredded red cabbage if you like
- 1/3 cup grated carrot
- 1 small whole Diced fresh, seeded mild jalapeño,or 2Tbsp. canned, diced
- optional; 1/3 cup fresh or canned sweet corn kernels- tasty but they do add carbs
- Marinade/Dressing (not sure what to call it!):
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup mayonnaise ( add enough to get a creamy consistency)
- juice of 1 lime
- 1tsp. Honey
- 2 Tbsp. Cilantro leaves, chopped fine
- 1-2 tsp. Chili powder (tip; start with 1 and add more as you like)
- 1-2 tsp. Ground cumin (same as above)
- salt-free seasoning/pepper to taste
1. Whisk dressing/marinade ingredients in small bowl.
2. Mix cabbages, carrots, jalapeños and corn (if using), in large bowl.
3. Add dressing and mix well.
4. Let flavors meld for about 1/2 hour.
5. Serve for lunch by itself with chopped avocado and whole grain crackers or as topping for grilled fish or fish tacos. (See, I said this was easy!)