Summer Vegetable Sauté
If you’re lucky enough to have a bounty of tomatoes (my favorite!) and zucchinis, this is a tasty and very easy side dish.
I’m originally from Ohio, and we had great weather for growing tomatoes. Come September, the crop was often still abundant, and we were finally ready to do something besides eat them raw or on BLT’s. After making spaghetti sauce, and perhaps canning, this dish is one of my favorites to serve along side roast chicken and grilled fish.
Basically it’s three main ingredients; chopped onions, zucchini and tomatoes. The cooking is simple–sautéing in stages; you can put this together and serve in less than an hour. It can be cooked in advance, refrigerated and then reheated. (I suggest reheating in a pan–not microwaved.) What’s especially good about this dish is that it combines these wonderful summer vegetables and keeps their fresh tasting integrity, while the combination adds a lot of flavor.
Easy, low carb and very delicious!
INGREDIENTS (serves 3-4 with leftovers)
- 4-6 diced zucchinis (depending on size and how many you want to make–this is easily doubled)
- 1/2 -1 cup chopped onions
- 4-6 tomatoes (again, or more– as many as you want to make)
- 2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- Fresh herbs–thyme, basil, etc. (your choice–I prefer thyme)
- salt-free seasoning/pepper to taste
- Optional: a squeeze of lime or lemon juice
1. Chop onions, dice zucchini to approx. 1/2″ pieces, cut tomatoes into quarters, or smaller, depending on the tomato size..
2. Preheat a saute pan to med.high heat, add olive oil
3. Add the onions and sauce (no cover) for approx 4-5 min. until slightly brown and soft; of course, stirring as they cook.
4. Add zucchini–sauté another 5-6 minutes, until softened (if you like them slightly crunchy, taste for firmness to your taste).
5. Add tomatoes and sauté another 2-4 minutes, until they are softened and skins separate.
6. Mix all together with herbs and seasonings to your taste, and a few drops of lime of lemon if you like.
Very simple, very fresh tasting–your family and guests will thank you!