Curry Spinach Salad
It’s summer and to me that means salads! This one is my go-to’s for potlucks – a perennial favorite- the recipe is always requested!
I’ve been making it for many years; the recipe I use is from one of my staples—the San Francisco Junior League’s “San Francisco A La Carte” cookbook, published in 1979.
It’s easy, flavorful and the curry dressing adds a taste surprise.
INGREDIENTS (serves 4; I usually double the recipe)
- 2 lbs. fresh spinach, washed and dried
- 2 Red Delicious apples, unpeeled ( or any sweet, red apple)
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup dry roasted peanuts,or chopped pecans
- 2Tbs. Toasted sesame seeds
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh lemon juice
- 2/3 cup mild salad oil ( like canola)
- 1/2 Cup white Vinegar
- 1Tbs. Finely chopped chutney- mango is good
- 1-2tsps curry powder
- 1tsp dried mustard
- 1/4 tsp. Tabasco sauce
- salt-free seasoning/pepper to taste, or 1/2 tsp salt if you like
- TO DO
- 1. Whisk dressing ingredients in a container or bowl.
- 2. Core and chop apples into 1/2” pieces, sprinkle with lemon juice
- 3. Tear chilled spinach into bite size pieces- discard any tough stems
- 4. Mix dressing and spinach ( tip- mix this right before serving so it doesn’t wilt too much)
- 5. Add all other ingredients on top of dressed spinach
- 6. Serve for lunch by itself with whole grain crackers or as accompaniment for grilled fish or chicken.
- Or bring to your next potluck!