Yes, another dish inspired by my recent (May 2015) trip to Greece. This one is so delicious and pretty easy to prepare – especially in a slow cooker. When you’re working it is a real treat to have such a prepared dish ready for you! I chopped and prepared everything the day before; refrigerated it in the slow cooker container and set it to slow cook the next day- I added an hour–it took 9 hours as it was cold from the fridge.
Of course, it’s low carb, with lean meat and lots of good veggies. You may know that cooking tomatoes actually increases the lycopene, which may be especially healthy for men; check it out with your doctor or a trusted nutritionist.
Now the recipe:
Great Greek Lamb Shanks
INGREDIENTS- serves 3-4 (with leftovers; depending on size of lamb shanks)
- 4-6 lamb shanks, Frenched (a butcher will do this for you- it means making a cut in the bone)
- 1/4-1/2 C flour
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large or 2 med onions thickly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped in 1″ rounds
- 2 zucchini chopped into 1″ cubes
- 1 can artichoke hearts (10 oz)
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives (more if you like)
- 1/2- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 large can (28 oz) crushed Roma tomatoes
- 1Tbsp fresh chopped or 1tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp lemon zest, 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Salt free seasoning/pepper
1. Place lamb and flour in large plastic bag and shake to coat.
2. Heat oil in pan and add lamb shanks in batches and cook until browned on all sides. Remove lamb shanks from pan and place into slow cooker.
3. Heat remaining oil and cook onions and garlic stirring until onions are soft.
4. Combine tomatoes, wine, stock, lemon zest, artichokes and olives.
5. Pour liquid mixture over lamb. Add carrots and zucchini, onions and garlic.
6. Cover pot with lid.
7. Cook on high setting for 6 hours or low setting for 8 hours.
8. Stir in oregano, lemon juice, seasoning and pepper just prior to serving. Taste and adjust.
Serve with whole wheat couscous and a Greek salad- natch!
Enjoy! And yes, Oopa!