It’s that time of year to enjoy roasted winter vegetables, wherever you live.
So good, pretty and easy! Take a mix of colored raw winter vegetables; your choice; (I’m sharing our latest mix- but almost any root veggies that you like will be fine for this).
I like to include vegetables that aren’t so common such as white turnips, parsnips and kohlrabi, as well as the old standards like carrots, onions and beets. Sometimes I also add fennel and roasted delicata squash- check out the recipe and video to make that “adult candy” by itself or roast it with the rest of your vegetables.
This is a wonderful addition to a holiday meal, and a non-holiday suggestion is serve with roast chicken and the always good green salad– so delicious and healthy!
Roasted Winter Vegetables
- 1 bunch each of red and yellow beets (save the greens for a future dish- recipe to come)
- 3-5 white turnips
- 1 bunch Kohlrabi
- 4-5 carrots
- 1 large red onion
- 3-4 parsnips
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt-free seasoning and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. Scrub all vegetable; cutting off ends and any bad spots. Only peel Kohlrabi; other veggies are cooked unpeeled.
3. Cut beets, kohlrabi, turnips and onions in 1/2. Cut carrots and parsnips in 1/2 lengthwise. Mix in a bowl with olive oil and seasonings.
4. Lay all cut veggies on one layer (each piece touching the pan) face down on oiled baking sheet and bake for 45-50 minutes until tender.
5. You can then turn off the oven and let vegetables roast on their own for at least another 1/2 hour — they become carmelized and sweet- melt in the mouth!
7. Add more seasonings and salt if you like.
8. Serve with gusto!
Enjoy and Happy Holidays!