Chicken is such a versatile meat; we enjoy it in many of its iterations from simple roast to this delicious Greek- inspired version chock full of flavor (and healthy veggies).
You can buy pre-cut chicken pieces or buy a whole chicken and cut it up yourself. I like doing it that way as it’s fresher and less expensive. Plus I skin my chickens before cooking as well.
Something I learned is not to rinse chicken in advance of cooking- it just spreads any bacteria. Cooking itself kills whatever is on the poultry. Do clean your knives (or kitchen scissors, cleavers, etc.) and boards thoroughly with hot water and detergent.
INGREDIENTS (for 2-4; 2 with leftovers)
- 1 chicken, cut into pieces (I like organic “smart” chicken)
- 1/3 cup olives – green and Kalamata mixed
- 1 package frozen or 1 large (13 oz.) can artichoke hearts
- 3/4 lb cremini mushrooms, chopped or sliced
- 1-2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2-3 Tbsp. Lemon juice
- 1tsp dried or 2 Tbsp. fresh minced Oregano or Thyme
- Salt free seasoning/pepper to taste
TO DO: preheat oven to 375 degrees
1. Spread olive oil over chicken pieces in 9×13 baking dish (I use glass, but Corning Ware, ceramic or metal are all good- your choice)
2. Mix garlic, artichokes, mushrooms and add to chicken.
3. Pour wine and lemon juice over chicken and vegetables.
4. Place olives around chicken/veggies. (artistically of course ! (<*
5. Sprinkle herbs, spices and seasonings on top to taste.
6. Cover with aluminum foil- bake for 25 minutes.
7. Remove foil and bake for 20 minutes longer (stick a knife in joint of a chicken leg- if juice runs clear you’re done)
Serve with whole grains or brown rice and a Greek salad; (recipe to come soon–please follow!)
Oopa! Enjoy! www.type2delicious.com