I confess–I use frozen french green beans from Trader Joe’s for this dish. I’ve tried it with fresh Blue Lake green beans as well as other kinds of fresh and frozen green beans and have not found anything better than these. They are tender, tasty and easy to cook. Try them yourself and see what you think.
The ingredients are pretty basic, but as always, using really good olive oil, (such as the oil from the New Ben Lomond Olive Oil Company–cool bottle too), fresh garlic (not garlic powder or salt), and toasting the sliced almonds make the difference. My son-in-law Mike swears they’re the best green beans he’s ever had and requests them whenever we’re together for a home-cooked dinner.
These beans are a great complement to my grandmother’s meatloaf–coming soon!
Green Beans with Garlic and Sliced Almonds
- 1 bag frozen green beans (Trader Joe’s frozen french green beans)
- 1/2 cup water
- 3-4 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1/3–to 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2-4 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- lemon zest to taste
- Optional: 1-2 slices chopped crisply fried bacon
- Salt free seasoning/pepper to taste
1. Preheat large saute pan.
2. Add frozen green beans and water; bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until tender; approx. 8 minutes (eat a bean to test for doneness)
4. Remove beans from pan to a bowl. Heat 2 Tbsp. olive oil; add garlic and saute just until brown (don’t overcook or burn). Remove from pan and add to beans.
5. Heat remaining olive oil; add almonds and toast until light brown.
6. Add beans and garlic back into pan; toss and heat Toss in bacon if you like.
(Of course, bacon is delicious, but makes this more a bacon-flavored dish. I prefer it without.)
7. Add spices and seasonings to taste.